- 700g soaked salt cod fillets
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut in rounds (medium thickness)
- 12 green olives
- 700g canned whole peeled tomatoes, chopped roughly
- rice flour, to coat the salt cod
- pecorino romano cheese, to taste
- olive or sunflower oil for frying
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Make a tomato sauce by cooking the tomatoes in a frying pan with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Do not salt as the salt cod will be salty enough.
Soak the salt cod fillets for a few hours changing the water often. Dry the salt cod well with paper towels and cut into medium sized pieces.
Dip the salt cod pieces in the rice flour and fry until light golden. Then remove, drain and carefully dry on paper towels.
Cook the potatoes in boiling water for a few minutes.
Take an oven dish, cover the bottom with a few ladles of the tomato sauce and then layer half the potatoes, a sprinkling of grated pecorino romano cheese, half the salt cod and half the olives and repeat to finish all the ingredients, keeping a little tomato sauce to one side.
Cook in a pre-heated fan-assisted oven at 180C for about 20 minutes covered with foil and then uncover and finish in the oven for another 10/15 minutes.