- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 60g guanciale or Italian pancetta, cut into dice
- 1.8kg cooked tripe
- 100 ml of white wine
- 600g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- a few leaves of mint
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle it with olive oil. Sauté the finely chopped celery, carrot and onion until soft. Add the diced guanciale. Add the precooked tripe. Add the white wine and let it evaporate.
Puree the canned whole peeled tomatoes in a blender and add to the tripe. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes.
Mix in some grated Pecorino Romano. Garnish with mint.