- 4 peppers, cut into small dice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 360g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato concentrate
- 3 courgette, thinly sliced
- 2 aubergine, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, use only the white part and thinly sliced
- 2 potatoes, thinly sliced
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- parsley leaves, finely chopped as needed
- basil leaves for garnish
- salt and pepper
Heat a frying pan over medium heat and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil: Sauté the diced peppers and chopped onion. Add the whole peeled tomatoes and the tomato concentrate. Cook for another 10 minutes until the peppers are soft and the vegetable juice is thick.
Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a tall, narrow container and puree with a stick blender until smooth and creamy.
Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease an ovenproof dish with extra virgin olive oil. Pour the pepper and tomato cream into the ovenproof dish in a single layer, alternating with the thinly sliced vegetables. Season the vegetables on each layer with salt, pepper, a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and finely chopped parsley.
Cover the ovenproof dish with baking paper and poke small holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake for about 50 minutes.
Remove the baking paper and switch the oven to grill mode. Grill the top of the baked ratatouille for a few more minutes until golden brown.