- eggs: 4 (for one egg per person) or 8 (2 eggs per person)
- 800g canned cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ red pepper, diced or thinly sliced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced or thinly sliced
- large pinch or two smoked paprika
- chopped fresh chili, to taste (depending on the heat level of the chili pepper, and your own taste)
- small to medium bunch of coriander, coarsely chopped
- a few spring onions, chopped to garnish
- salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic; when softened, add the cumin seeds and cook together a few minutes to lightly toast the seeds.
Add the red, yellow and green pepper, the paprika (and chili if using), and cook about 5 minutes or longer, or until the peppers are softened and lightly browned in places.
Add the cherry tomatoes with all their juices and the coriander, leaving a little coriander aside to garnish if you wish; cook to reduce for about 10 minutes or until a thick sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
Using the back of a large spoon, make either 4 or 8 wells in the sauce, then crack an egg into each one.
Put a lid on the frying pan, reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking for 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking. Ideally: the whites should be firm, the yolks soft.