- 340g Arborio or other risotto rice
- 400g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 small-medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2-1 fresh chili pepper, deseeded and chopped (to taste)
- 60 ml olive oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400g fresh, frozen or tinned sweetcorn kernels
- 4 heaped tbsp coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- 250 ml single cream
- salt and black pepper
- optional: a knob of butter, to melt when you serve it.
Lightly sauté the onions, garlic, green pepper and chili pepper in the olive oil until the vegetables are softened.
Heat the vegetable stock and keep warm.
Add the rice, and cook together until the rice turns slightly golden, then gradually stir in the vegetable stock, a ladleful at a time, alternating with the tomatoes with their juice. Keep stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
The rice will be about half cooked through, still a bit tough to the teeth; then stir in the sweetcorn and half the chopped coriander. Continue to cook over a gentle heat for another 4-5 minutes, then add the cream, and stir together with the rice mixture until the rice is just al dente.
Season with salt, pepper, sprinkle with rest of the chopped coriander, and if desired, serve with a knob of butter on top to melt into each portion.