- 800g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 50g extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling if desired
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 300g stale bread, soaked in water then squeezed dry and broken up
- 10 basil leaves
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- salt and pepper
Cook the chopped celery and carrot in a little of the extra virgin olive oil with one clove of garlic until it is softened.
Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and then cook for about 30-40 minutes or until richly flavoured.
Add the stale bread, remaining cloves of garlic, a little extra virgin olive oil and the basil. Cook together until it forms a chunky thick mixture, more a porridge than a soup.