- 900g – 1 kg mussels
- 400g canned whole peeled tomatoes, cut into strips
- 1 large clove of garlic or 2 small ones, peeled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a bunch of parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- black pepper
- sourdough bread (about 2 slices per head)
Clean the mussels, put them in a large pot with a lid and leave them to open over a medium heat. Stir after about one minute to distribute the heat better. As soon as they are open, turn off the heat. Throw away any mussels that have not opened.
Sauté the peeled garlic and chopped parsley and chili pepper gently in a large frying pan in the extra virgin olive oil, then when the garlic is just golden add the tomatoes cut into strips and cook over a medium heat for 7/8 minutes.
In the meantime, filter the mussel liquid through a very fine sieve. Add the mussels and half the mussel liquid to the tomato sauce, mix gently and check for salt.
Toast the sourdough bread.